l. Reading repels anxiety and grief.
2. While busy reading, one is prevented from delving
3. Habitual reading makes one too busy to keep company
with the idle and the inactive.
4. By reading often, one develops eloquence and
clarity in speech.
5. Reading helps to develop the mind and purify its
6. Reading increases one in knowledge and improves
both memory and understanding.
7. By reading, one benefits from the experiences of
others: the wisdom of the wise and the understanding of scholars.
8. By reading often, one develops the ability to both
acquire and process knowledge and to learn about the different fields of knowledge
and their applications to life.
9. One’s faith will increase when one reads beneficial
books, especially books written by practicing Muslim writers. The book is the
best giver of sermons and it has a forceful effect in guiding one towards
goodness and away from evil.
10. Reading helps to relax one’s mind from distraction
and to save one’s time from being wasted.
11. By reading often, one gains a mastery over many
words and learns the different constructions of sentences; moreover, one improves
his ability to grasp concepts and to understand what is written between the
"Nourishment of the soul is in concepts and
meanings, And not in food and drink."