CHAPTER No: 37
It is of Shirk to perform a (righteous) deed
for worldly reasons
Allah the Most Exalted said:
"Whosoever desires the life of the world and its glitter; to them we shall pay in full (the wages of) their deeds therein and they will have no diminution therein. They are those for whom there is nothing in the Hereafter but the Fire; and vain are the deeds they did therein. And of no effect is that which they used to do."
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said:
"Let the slave of Dinar and Dirham, and Khamisa (i.e. money and luxurious clothes) perish as he is pleased if these things are given to him, and if not, he is displeased. Let such a person perish and relapse, and if he is pierced with a thorn, let him not find anyone to take it out for him. Tuba (all kinds of happiness, or a tree in Paradise) is for him who holds the reins of his horse to strive in Allah's Cause, with his hair unkempt and feet covered with dust: if he is appointed in the vanguard, he is perfectly satisfied with his post of guarding, and if he is appointed in the rearguard, he accepts his post with satisfaction; (he is so simple and unambitious that) if he asks for permission (before a ruler) he is not permitted, and if he intercedes, his intercession is not accepted (because of his simplicity)."
Important issues of the Chapter
1) Man's desire for the worldly gains on the pretext of the acting for the Hereafter.
2) Explanation of the verses in Surah Hud (11:15,16).
3) Naming the Muslim the slave of Dinar and Dirham and Khamisa (i.e. money and luxurious clothes).
4) The explanation of that by the fact that "he is pleased if these things are given to him, and if not, he is displeased."
5) Meaning of the words: "Let such a person perish and relapse." (Ta'isa, Intakasa).
6) Meaning of the words: "and if he is pierced with a thorn, let him not find anyone to take it out for him."
7) The praise upon the Mujahid who can be attributed with the characterization (in the Hadith).