CHAPTER No: 62
The forbiddance of taking Oaths frequently
Allah the Most Exalted said:
"And protect your oaths."
It is narrated from Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) that he heard Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) saying:
"By 'swearing (the seller) may persuade the buyer to purchase the goods but he will be deprived of Allah's blessing."
(Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
It is narrated from Salman (May Allah be pleased with him) that Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said:
"There are three types of people whom Allah will not speak to and neither will He bless them and for them is the severe torment. They are: (i) A greying adulterer; (ii) An arrogant beggar; (iii) The one who has made Allah as his merchandise that is, he does not purchase except by swearing (by Allah), nor does he sell except by swearing (by Allah)."
[(At- Tabarani reorded the above Hadith with Sahih Isnad)]
It is reported in Sahih (Muslim) from Imran bin Husain (May Allah be pleased with him) that Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said:
"The best of my Ummah (nation) is my generation, then those who (immediately) follow them, then those who (immediately) follow them." Imran said, "I don't know if he mentioned after his generation two (successive generations afterwards) or three." "Then there will come a generation who will be ready to witness without being requested to do so and also they will be treacherous and untrustworthy. They will take oaths for vowing but never fulfill them, and obesity will be seen in them." (i.e. due to their preoccupation in acquiring worldly ease)." (Muslim)
Also reported in Muslim and Al-Bukhari from Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) is that the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said:
"The best of mankind is my generation then those who come (immediately) after them, then those who come after them. Thereafter will come a people whose witnesses will go ahead of their oaths and the oaths will go ahead of their witnesses."
Ibrahim (Nakhyee (May Allah be pleased with him)) said: "In our childhood, we were beaten by our elders to stand firm on witnesses and covenants."
Important issues of the Chapter
1) Admonishment to protect oaths.
2) Declaration that by swearing, the goods are sold but deprived of blessing.
3) Threat of severe punishment for those who do not buy or sell without swearing.
4) Warning that committing sin for small reasons or no reason increases the degree of sin.
5) Censure for those who swear by themselves without being asked to swear.
6) The Prophet's praise for the first three or four generations and his prophecy of what would happen after them.
7) They would bear witness without being asked to do so.
8) Predecessors of the pious Muslims used to beat their children for (needlessly) bearing witness (by Allah's Name) or by the covenant (of Allah).