Kitab Al-Salaah (The book of Prayer)
Which Are Not Preferred In The Prayer
- Turning of the eyes up. The Prophet (peace be upon him)
strongly admonished against this as can be noted from the following
saying: “What is the matter with the people who raise their eyes
towards the sky while praying? They shall have to refrain from this or
else they will lose their eyesight” (Reported by Imam Bukhari).
It is also disliked to look right and left and the Prophet (peace be
upon him) in this regard says: “It is a deception with which
Satan deceives the servant while in prayer” (Reported by Imam
Bukhari). The person while praying is required to direct his eyes at
the point of prostration.
- Closing the eyes in the course of the prayer.
- Placing the hands above the kidneys or on the waist. Hands
should be placed over the chest.
- Wiping the earth (where to prostrate) more than once to
remove pebbles on it.
- Reading of the Holy Qur'an, while in Rukuu and in Sujuud
- Making unnecessary movements in the course of the prayer such
as touching the chin (beard) or fidgeting the fingertips or mending up
the clothes e. g. the head turban etc.
- Entering to prayer, while food has been served to the person
before the prayer or while badly in need of passing excrement and / or
urine. The Prophet (peace be upon him) in this regard says:
“Prayer is not valid when food has been served and when a person is in
need of relieving himself of excrement and/or urine” (Reported
by Imam Muslim).
- It is prohibited for someone in a congregational prayer to
raise the head from Rukuu and Sujuud positions ahead of the Imam. The
Prophet (peace be upon him) strongly warned persons doing this as can
be noted from the following saying: “Doesn't the person who
raises up his head before the Imam fear that Allah will turn his head
to that of a donkey or make his face look like a donkey”
(Reported by Imam Bukhari).