CHAPTER No: 14
To seek help in other than Allah (Istighatha)
or to invoke other than Him is an act of Shirk
Allah the Most Exalted said:
"And invoke not besides Allah any that will neither profit you nor hurt you, but if (in case) you did so, you shall certainly be one of the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers). And if Allah touches you with hurt, there is none who can remove it but He; and if He intends any good for you, there is none who can repel His Favour which He causes it to reach whomsoever of His slaves He will. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
And He said:
"You worship besides Allah only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom you worship besides Allah have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from Allah (Alone) and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be brought back."
He the Almighty said:
"And who is more astray than one who calls (invokes) besides Allah, such as will not answer him till the Day of Resurrection; and who are (even) unaware of their calls (invocations) to them? And when mankind are gathered (on the Day of Resurrection), they (false deities) will become enemies for them and will deny their worshipping."
Allah, the Most Exalted said:
"Is not He Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls Him; and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any god with Allah? Little is that you remember!"
At- Tabarani narrates with his Isnad (chain of the narrators):
During the days of the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) there was a hypocrite who used to harm the believers, some of them (the believers) said, "Come (support) with us while we appeal to Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) for assistance against this hypocrite." The Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) replied, "Verily, no one should seek to me for assistance. Indeed, it is Allah Who is to be sought for assistance and help."
Important issues of the Chapter
1) To attach supplication or invocation (Du'a) with seeking assistance (Istighatha) through conjunction is to attach a general matter to one which is specific.
2) Explanation of the verse:
"And invoke not besides Allah any that will neither profit you nor hurt you..." (10: 106).
3) This is the greater Shirk.
4) The most pious person, if he calls for help other than Allah, even for the gratification of someone else, he will become one of the Zalimun (wrong-doers, polytheists).
5) Explanation of the verse following (10: 107).
6) Calling others for help besides Allah is of no benefit in this world and besides that it is disbelief (Kufr).
7) Explanation of the Verse 29: 17.
8) Requesting sustenance and provisions should be done to none other than from Allah. Just as Paradise can be requested from none other than Him.
9) Explanation of the fourth Verse 46:5.
10) There is none more misguided than the one who calls on others than Allah.
11) To whom the call is made (besides Allah) is unaware of the supplications of the caller; he knows nothing about it.
12) That call will be the cause of anger and enmity of the one called towards the caller.
13) The call is named as worship of the one called on.
14) The one called upon will deny and reject this act of worship towards him.
15) This is why such a supplicant is the most astray of the people.
16) Explanation of the fifth Verse 27: 62.
17) Astonishing is the admission of idolaters that none relieves the one in distress other than Allah. That is why, they call upon Him in times of extreme difficulty with the utmost religious sincerity.
18) The protection of the Chosen One (May Allah be pleased with him) means the protection of Tauhid and being mindful towards Allah.